Resentment is a feeling that human beings sometimes manifest when something affects their emotions and makes them feel some pain.
Children do not escape these types of emotions, but it is very important that they inform them about all the negative things in their life to feel resentment toward other people.
For this reason, it is important to teach children to forgive, and to be good to themselves and others is the best investment they can make throughout their lives.
How to explain to a child what resentment is?
It is important to be able to correctly explain to the children all the emotions that they will experience during their growth, since they are capable of experiencing them but they do not have the capacity to distinguish them.
The best way is by using examples and highlighting the positive and negative things that give us a specific feeling.
- Son, rancor is when your friend took your toy while they played and you did not want to, and that’s why you got upset and did not want to talk to him anymore.
- You can feel rancor when Mommy punishes you for something you did and you get upset with her for a long time.
- You can also feel resentment when you fight with your brother and last for weeks without speaking to him about that fight, which surely is not of great importance.
Basically a child can feel resentment when he feels betrayed, hurt, or when he is upset and does not forgive the person immediately, or says he forgave her but still does not forget what happened.
That is why it is said that this feeling is accompanied by anger, impotence, anger, distrust, envy, fear, among many others, which will depend on the context in which the child is.
Consequences of feeling resentment?
Resentment is a negative feeling, which affects the physical and emotional health of people, robbing their peace of mind. Since it keeps the person or the child thinking about that feeling of discomfort or pain for indeterminate time.
The child who has a hard time forgetting the differences he has had with another person, or who needs a lot of time to assimilate what happened, and then determine if he will forgive or forget, becomes a child, insecure, lonely, and very sadness in his heart that can turn him into a person locked in only seeing the negative things, he will not be able to see the good and positive things that happen to him.
How to teach children not to feel resentment?
- It is important that the child discharges resentment, talking with the people closest to them and with the greatest confidence.
- The child must be shown that feeling these emotions only causes pain and suffering.
- It is essential to teach the child to leave behind the past, to close the cycles and to think about the present and the future.
- He must teach children not to take all the actions that others have with him personally, as it can sometimes be misinterpreted.
- All human beings are imperfect and we can make mistakes, that is why it is important to work on empathy and accept everyone with their defects and virtues.
- It must be taught to forgive.
It is important to fill children with good values and education, so they are not exposed to negative feelings, which do not contribute anything to their lives. Children should have a positive development that will help them become great people in the future.
Emphasizing that God places forgiveness as an important theme in the Bible, so much so that our father says: forgive our sins as we forgive those who offend us, so we would also be teaching good values to children.